San Data Recovery
Storage Area Networks, commonly abbreviated to SAN, is a storage media that users can access via a network. Unlike NAS, though, users are not permanently connected to the relevant storage media but must instead connect to it before they are able to access the data stored on it.
SANs often utilise RAID arrays for both robustness and speed, meaning that our technicians will do the following when conducting your free diagnostic:
- Determine how the RAID array has been setup and the file-system being used;
- Assess whether any parts require repair or need to be replaced; and
- Develop a bespoke plan for the safe extraction and recovery of your data.
Causes of failure of SAN systems
SAN system failure can be caused by:
- Failure of one or more disk drives
- Inaccessibility of data due to bad sectors or virus attacks
- Accidental deletion of data or formatting a volume
- Logical or physical failure causing system crashes
- Errors in the RAID consistency
- Array degradation
- Physical damage due to natural disasters such as fire, flood, storms, etc.
Tips to prevent further damage after failure of a SAN system
- Do not panic. Turn the SAN system off immediately and unplug it from the socket.
- Do not attempt to repair the failing device without first checking the health of all connected devices.
- Do not wipe or change the RAID configuration on the SAN – If you have experienced a failure, do not try to re-instantiate (regenerate) your strip or rebuild the array. Anything that is done to the array from this point forward can greatly reduce the ability to recover your irreplaceable data. What may seem intuitive to try can permanently destroy our ability to recover data from a failed SAN. Contact us immediately to ensure a fast and successful recovery of your business’s essential data.
How can we help?
Bring your SAN system into us so we can conduct a free inspection. Once we have conducted the free inspection we will give you an obligation free fixed price quote within 24-48 hours. To contact us simply call 1300 880 636 at any time or complete the website form and we will be in contact immediately.